hello kitty goes to peaches

7.19.2007

Harry Potter- I Miss You!

It has been nearly two years since I last sold a book. I loved my job as a bookseller for a long time, but I don't miss it at all. I am so happy that I no longer work retail, deal with corporate bullsh*t, or work weekends. But I can't lie.....I wish I was working Harry Potter night tomorrow.

Even though Harry Potter was literally insanity on a stick I still loved it. I had six books worth of crazy hours, wild children, yelling over a bullhorn, and a few dozen angry customers when we ran out of books. I remember after the first book came out, my all time favorite children's book clerk insisted on reading a chapter to me one night at dinner. Then there was the year that my store flooded, the lights went out, the elevator broke down (we had to carry the books case by case up the stairs) and my sweet ex-husband organized and supervised "security detail" with the other husbands (that was book number 3.) The celebrations kept getting bigger and crazier. So, I will be thinking about my book friends tomorrow night. I hope that it is a wonderful farewell for the little wizard and his fans. I doubt there will ever be another book that will create this type of frenzy. I am so happy I was able to be a part of it.

And-for the record-I still haven't read a single one. I just heard that first chapter back in 97 or 98.

3 Comments:

At 9:16 AM, Blogger michael said...

I know exactly how you feel. I am a recent transplant from the world of book retail myself. Harry Potter night was as reviled and it was loved. This must be how it feels to be a recently converted Jew on Christmas eve

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Sam said...

It's not too late! I'm sure there's a store near you who would be happy to have you as a volunteer...

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger DDD said...

Snape bingo rocked. My fake tattoos were a big hit: a lightening bolt on my left arm and an HP on my right shoulder. It was the first time people I work with have seen me in makeup (except for lipstick--you know how I am about my lipstick). Wish you could have been there. Oh, and my green nailpolish is flaking off as I write this. I want to do it again next year. Quick, somebody write a great book!! from katinka

 

Post a Comment

<< Home