hello kitty goes to peaches

8.27.2006

The Keep

Here is some commentary on Jennifer Egan's latest book- The Keep. From the front flap of the book, you can easily summarize the plot by saying it is a story of two cousins who share some bad blood from a childhood prank. Twenty years later, the reunite somewhere in Europe because one of the cousins has purchased and old castle and want to renovate it into a hotel. Once everyone is on site, you realize there is much more to this castle and it begins to seriously alter the reality and consciousness of it's inhabitants.

The thing I really enjoyed about this book was the unique storytelling. You really don't know if you can trust the narrator because one is suffering from severe hallucinations, some have an agenda, and nearly everyone is trying to hide something. The book is trippy. I found I needed to read every single word and give the text a close reading to keep up with the story. It was different from my normal taste and I thought I would give it a shot to stretch my brain. It worked!

Thumbs up for The Keep. Well worth the effort and suspenseful without terror. I liked it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home