hello kitty goes to peaches

8.24.2006

The Brambles

I read Eliza Minot's second novel The Brambles last week. Sam gave it to me and said I would like it. I had seen it at the store, and fell in love with the cover. The cover is the best I have come across all year. I know that people say "You can't judge a book by it's cover" but after many years in the book business, and having loved books my whole life, I have found that a really compelling cover often coincides with an interesting story.

This novel is a story of a family dealing with a dying father. The father is about to stay with his oldest daughter and her family so hospice can be brought in. The story is told through the point of view of the three children and the father. All of the children are adults, disconnected from their family and dealing with their own issues independent of their fathers illness.

I really loved this book. It is a buffet of words. Even the most simple things are described in the most poetic way. It isn't the linear story that keeps you reading, it is the richness of memory each person experiences that seems to reach out and pull you in. It is inviting, revealing and welcoming. I wanted to sit on the porch with these people and just marinate in their energy while enjoying a glass of wine (which I don't even drink!)

So, check out this novel if you are looking for some thoughtful literary stimulation.

1 Comments:

At 12:41 PM, Blogger Sam said...

It WAS a buffet of words! Well said my friend!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home